Oktobertfest!

OK. I'll admit it. My views of Oktoberfest were pretty limited. I figured it was only beer-halls and food and maybe a carnival ride or two. That limited idea, then, did nothing to prepare me for what Oktoberfest in Munich really is. I think to call it a spectacle is appropriate. Yes, when it comes right down to it, it is basically still beer-halls and food and carnival games and rides. However, the sheer size of it in Munich is something to behold. And the sheer number of people!

Lisa, Bradley and I headed down to the grounds on Thursday morning. I had heard that it gets more crowded and more ... rambunctious ... later in the day, so we left the house around 11. Bradley had actually made it down there on Monday for a short visit (more on that in a minute) and basically knew where we were going. Not that we needed a map. Getting there was dead simple: get off the train at Hackerbrücke and follow the crowd. Well, crowd may be an understatement. Maybe "river of humanity" would be a better description. So, yes. We got there quite easily without the help of Google maps.

We got to the entrance and were pleased to note that they don't even charge to get in. Yay! Not to worry though, they have PLENTY of ways to get money from you.

70 degrees, sunny and no entrance fee!
We walked down the main aisle and went to the beer tent of my favorite large Bavarian brewery, Augustiner. Here is where Bradley was confused on Monday. You simply walk in the tent and sit somewhere that isn't reserved. He stood around waiting to be seated. Oops.

There is no selection of the type or size beer you get. It is the Oktoberfest beer in a 1 liter mug. Take it or leave it. I fell in the "take it" camp.

That's quite a mug you've got there
After eating our yummy lunch and drinking our liter (or two, for the younger among us) of beer, we decided to walk around and see the sites. Most of the rides here frankly seemed like a very bad idea after heavy German food and alcohol, but what do I know.

"Mom! I want to ride the SpinnyUpsideDownVomitChair!"
There are, of course, the normal selection of carnival booths where you try to shoot something or knock down bottles or whatever to win a prize. This one was our favorite. I'm not quite sure what they are implying here...

What am I dreaming of, exactly?
Lisa and Bradley rode one of the roller coasters (which I wasn't up to).

Have fun, kids!
Bradley and I rode the bumper cars, which Lisa hates for some reason. And I apparently love.

Like driving on 360, but you are SUPPOSED to hit people.
After wandering for a bit, we went back to the beer hall, which had filled up in our absence. 

It's not out of focus, those are "beer goggles"
For perspective, there are 13 more beer tents about this size on the grounds. Plus several other "small" tents. However, I was actually surprised at how kid-friendly it was, especially during the day before the heavier ... er ... celebrating starts.

We left at about 4:00 and felt like salmon swimming upstream. The "river of humanity" had turned into "Mississippi River Flood Stage" and we were going in the other direction.

This is one of the events that I'm sure many of you will want to come experience in Munich and now that I've experienced it, I think it is quite worth the trip.
Prost!

Comments

  1. Man, they really pack them into the tents! How do you get between the rows?? Or are they short rows and everyone just scoots down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fairly short rows. Each table only hold maybe 4 or five people on each side and there are columns between each one. Make sense? :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday shopping in Munich

Normalcy

The Joy of Packing